History of Abacon Products
• 1949 – My grandfather commenced working with wire as an apprentice.
• 1961 – He began to work more specifically producing wire products, of which we still make a vast array to this day.
• 1970 – My father joined my grandfather and they commenced their own wire product manufacturing business in Fitzroy.
Diversification into chain
• 1980 – Moved to larger premises in East Keilor, where our first chain machine was purchased and installed. Within 5 years we had grown taking on an additional 4 machines, focusing on Jack Chains and Hanging Basket chain sets.
• 1987 – Again moved the chain operation to new larger premises.
• 1990 – Acquired the Able Cooke chain plant, increasing our range dramatically to include knotted (coil), chandelier, picture frame and more jack chains.
• 1993 – Acquired a ball chain machine and also began importing some chains from overseas to increase range.
• 1994 –Required more room to house the expanding chain business and once again moved to larger premises.
• 1995 – Within less than one year, the company was again out growing its premises and we undertook a major company restructuring and disposed of redundant equipment.
• 2001 – Installation of a modern and complete chain plant from Germany and also acquired the jewellery chain plant from Austral Chains here in Melbourne.
• 2003 – In the final year of my tertiary studies, I joined the company. During that same year we also increased the range of imported chains, to the point where we now manufacture, import and distribute a vast range of commercial, decorative and jewellery chains and accessories throughout Australia.
Chain business has continued to grow, and additional product ranges added.